Material testing is important for all industries as it ensures the quality and safety of the end product. Usually it is done at the end of the manufacturing process. It is better to test individual parts of a product rather than the whole product at one time. Here are a few ways by which you can determine the quality of a material
There are many types of material testing that can be done on products. If your company doesn’t have the facilities for testing, you can outsource it to material testing laboratories. Here are a few types of material testing
- TENSILE TESTING: Tensile testing is done to check how a material behaves when axial loads are applied to it. This type of testing is mostly done on plastic, metal, rubber and fabric materials. For checking the tensile strength, the material is exposed to both high and low temperatures.
- STRESS TESTING: Stress testing is done to determine a material’s ability to resist compressive force applied to break it. The time period force which the force is resisted is also recorded.
- BEND TESTING: For testing the flexibility of a product, a bend test is done. There are two types of bend testing that can be done in a material testing lab namely 3 point and 4 point. In this type of testing, either the load measurement or the breaking point of a material is determined.
- BOND STRENGTH TESTING: Bond strength testing involves determining the amount of stress require to break the adhesive bond between two materials. This type of test is mostly done on orthodontics and medical adhesives.
Here are some other useful tips that you can take to determine the quality of a material.
Material testing is also known as inbound or receiving inspect here are some steps that can be followed before the actual inspection.
The receiving department in your organization will already have its own processes in place which might include verifying and recording the quantity of material received, checking the order purchase number and verifying whether the order is complete
- PHYSICAL INSPECTION
It is always a good idea to take photos and videos of the material after you receive it. There are many workflow management tools that enable you to tag the photos you take for easy storage in inspection forms.
- CHECK PROJECT SPECIFICATIONS
This is a critical step that needs to be taken. Check the specifications of the project to confirm whether the material you received from material testing labs in India meets the required specifications. Any part or component whether liquid or metal that does not meet the standards should never pass inspection
Once you know the specifications of the project, you can confirm whether the materials meet the contract requirements and purchase order
There are other different types of testing that can be done in a material testing lab like shear test, peel test, tear strength testing, creep resistance and elastic limit testing.
SMSLA Global is an accredited material testing laboratory. Our material testing services include food packaging material testing for seafood and other sectors. We have our laboratories are in Ahmedabad, Coimbatore, Cochin, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Chennai, Coimbatore, and Visakhapatnam.